Friday, November 28, 2014

I started a business

I figured 2 months without a blog post is long enough. I am still new at this blogging thing. I decided to write a post on my business, The Family Historian.

In 2011, I somehow thought up of the idea to start my own genealogy business. At this point, I had just graduated from community college and was ready to pursue by Bachelor’s degree. I created a business plan and thought about the idea for some time, but ultimately, I decided to focus on college. Fast forward to my second semester in early 2012. I was taking four history courses. All of them were very interesting and I did enjoy learning new things, but there were a number of things that didn’t feel right. Some of the classes I was “learning” things I had already learned either in high school, community college, or by personal studies. The same feelings returned in the fall of 2012 through a number of different struggles. I only attended classes for 4 days that third semester. September 6, 2012 was the last time I ever attended a class. I did consider shifting to online classes in early 2013, but ultimately the desire to continue college faded.

I had only attended college in the first place because that’s what everyone else was doing.
And that is not a good way to approach college or anything for that matter. I am glad I realized that before I borrowed more money from the government. I could go on about the present state of the higher education system, but I would be getting off topic. As 2013 continued, I began to shift my focus toward that business idea I had back in 2011. I actually purchased a domain and started AMK Genealogical Services. AMK of course are my initials. I never really liked the name at all. It wasn’t until later in 2013 that I actually thought of the name The Family Historian, and so I purchased a domain and changed my logo.

As I worked, conducted my personal genealogical research, and went about my daily activities in 2014, I began researching ideas for growing my business, but it wasn’t until this week that I actually paid for advertising for the first time, on Facebook.

So that is the story of how I started my business. At the present time, I am searching for any opportunities to grow and find new clients.

For more information, visit my website: http://www.the-family-historian.net

No comments:

Post a Comment